Individuals may apply for one of three types of placard depending on their disability and the severity:

  • Short Term
  • Long Term
  • Permanent

To apply for a placard:

To renew your placard:

If you have a permanent placard you can complete the self-declaration section on the placard application.

If you are not on the Alberta Motor Vehicles system you are required to prove your entitlement to be in Canada – Valid Canadian Passport, Canadian Birth Certificate, Indian Status Card, Work/Study Permit, Permanent Resident Document/Card, or Canadian Citizenship Document/Card.

If you are unable to come in person you will need to sign an Authorization Form (PDF) as well as send all documents with the person you are authorizing to come in on your behalf.

Visitors may also apply for a placard.

Note:  To download PDF documents, right-click and select ‘save as’ and save to your computer. PDF documents must be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader, not in your browser.